The Rock County Historical Society is a resource for historical research, thought-provoking programming, and one-of-a-kind historic sites. At its center is the Lincoln-Tallman Museum, an Italianate-style mansion that was constructed in 1857 and occupied by William Morrison Tallman, a lawyer and abolitionist. Abraham Lincoln visited in October of 1859 prior to his election in 1860. The Traditional Tour narrative focuses on how a prosperous Victorian family would have lived, weaving in stories about the Tallman family. In November and December, come for the Holiday Tree Show with the house decked out in its holiday finery.

The RCHS Legacies Museum & Visitor's Center, housed in the 1912 Prairie-style residence of Stanley Dexter Tallman, serves as the Lincoln-Tallman Museum's visitor and ticketing center and houses the administrative offices of the Rock County Historical Society. It offers exhibit galleries that feature Pauline Pottery and Pickard China, as well as rotating exhibits celebrating the history and heritage of Rock County. Parker Pen World features some of the most popular Parker pens in history, a collection of old ads and memorabilia, and music from the Parker Pen Band. The All About Rock County exhibit features historic collections on agriculture, transportation - including General Motors - leisure, the military, county businesses and more. Visit the artisans gift shop, which features art pieces from regional artists and makers. Discover pottery, children's items, sculptures, textiles, books, and a wide selection of jewelry including costume pieces, fine jewelry, and collectibles.

Next door, the RCHS Archives & Preservation Facility contains historical documents, photographs, and other resources for genealogy and historical research and inquiry. The beautifully restored Tallman Carriage House provides ample space for meetings and parties, and the newly restored Wilson King Stonehouse includes an event space and catering kitchen. Originally a 1842 Greek-Revival residence, one of Janesville's first, the Wilson King Stonehouse was relocated to campus in 1964. Finally, the Frances Willard Schoolhouse serves as an educational venue to hundreds of children each year. Built in 1853, it was used by well-known educator Frances Willard.

  • Things for Kids
  • Things for Teens
  • Downtown

Admission Fee: Cost
Address: 426 N Jackson St - Janesville - WI, 53548
Phone: (608) 756-4509
Fax:  (608) 741-9596